Loading
Skip Navigation LinksSri Salike > Ruins > Kandy > Magul Maduwa of the kandyan palace

Ruins

Magul maduwa - of the kandyan palace

  Province Central
  District Kandy
  Nearest Town Kandy
  Period 1779 – 1797 A.D.
  Ruler king Rajadhi Rajasinhe

Introduction

The "Magul Maduwa" of the Palace is where the king met his ministers and carried out his daily administrative tasks. This was also known as the "Maha Naduwa" (high court) by the local residence as this building was used by the king as the court. This building is also called the Assembly Hall or the Audience Hall. The construction of this finely carved wooden structure has been started by the king Rajadhi Rajasinhe (1779 - 1797) in 1783. but was unable to complete it within his reign. A number of key events in our history has taken place in this "Magul Maduwa". The major one being the handing over the last Sri Lankan kingdom to the British throne in 1815 ending over 2500 years of sovereignty. It was at this place that the British handed over the death sentence to the sri lankan patriots, Madugalle Disave and the Keppatipola Disave. The "Magul Maduwa" we see today is a extension to the original made by the British to facilitate the welcome of prince of wales in 1875. They pulled out 32 carved wooden columns from the building called "Pale Vahale" (which was the Queens living quarters during the last king of Kandy, now the National Museum building) and replaced them with brick pillars. Out of these, 16 pillars. Were used to extend the "Magul Maduwa" with 8 pillars. On each side and the old decayed bases have been replaced by new wooden bases. WIth this addition, building has two rows of elegantly carved pillars. Each row having 32 columns. A Kandyan style roof rests upon these columns.