Loading
Skip Navigation LinksSri Salike > Ruins > Polonnaruwa > Citadel > Council Chamber

Ruins

Council Chamber

  Province North Central
  District Polonnaruva
  Nearest Town Polonnaruva
  Period 1153 – 1186 A.D.
  Ruler Parakramabahu the Gread

Introduction

An inscription found on the stone slab at the upper level of the flight of steps of the building identifies the building as Raja Vaishyabhujanga Mandapa, The council chamber of king Parakramabahu the Great (1153 – 1186 A.D.) It has three consecutive tiers faced with decorated stone tablets. The roof supported on stone pillars of the upper most tiers probably had wooden members and covered with clay tiles. The investigations have revealed that the present form of the building may have been a result of a renovation probably during the Dambadeniya period (13th century A.D.)

Key

  • stone Pedestal