Loading
Skip Navigation LinksSri Salike > Ruins > Polonnaruwa > Citadel > Kumara Pokuna

Ruins

Kumara Pokuna

  Province North Central
  District Polonnaruva
  Nearest Town Polonnaruva
  Period 1153 – 1186 A.D.
  Ruler king parakramabahu the Great

Introduction

This royal bath now known as the Kumara Pokuna, must be the Pond named sila Pokkharani referred to in the Mahavamsa as built by king parakramabahu the Great (1153 – 1186 A.D.) This area lying outside the citadel may have belonged to king parakramabahu’s royal park named Nandana Uyana. The pond elegantly built with a cruciformed ground plan is designed in such manner as to get water from the adjacent water course and is also provided with outlets to drain off the used water. The pavilion near the pond must have served as a changing room.

Key

  • Changing room