Loading
Skip Navigation LinksSri Salike > Ruins > Polonnaruwa > Council Chamber of Nissankamalla

Ruins

Council Chamber of Nissankamalla

  Province North Central
  District Polonnaruva
  Nearest Town Polonnaruva
  Period 1187 – 1196 A.D.
  Ruler King Nissankamalla

Introduction

This is the council Chamber of King Nissankamala, (1187-1196) situated in the Royal garden. The lion Figure Made of stone at the Southern end of the building is the inscription on the illars indicates the seating arrangement of the respective menistres and state officiats. No better evidence is available anywhere in the island about the arrangement of an ancient royal council than this. The roof Supported in stone pillars probably had wooden members and coverd with clay tiles. This is a three terraced building with carvings of elephants, horses and lions. There are four rows of elegant stone pillars. There would have been a wooden roof. The inscriptions on the pillars are more important than their scenic beauty. They recorded the positions occupied by the dignitaries, when the king was on the magnificent “Lion Throne”. Prof Paranavithana has rendered a yeoman service in interpreting the inscriptions and renovating the dilapidated buildings. The inscription on the lion in the council chamber records that it served as a throne to the king. A lion may have been used to decorate the kings’ throne in order to display the majesty of the king. To the right hand side of the king there is a small throne (moulded stone seat) inscribed as the seat of the heir apparent.