Loading
Skip Navigation LinksSri Salike > Temple > Ampara > Japanese Peace Pagoda

Temple

Japanese Peace Pagoda

  Province Eastern
  District Ampara
  Nearest Town Ampara
  Period -
  Ruler -

Introduction

The ‘Cetiya’ on the Inginiyagala road, the Japanese Peace Pagoda (there are 99 mini pagodas with the main pagoda) has been erected by the Japanese Buddhist Nipponzan Myohoji, to spread the message of peace throughout the world. They have also named Ampara town as the City of Peace. Wild elephants cross in front of the Japanese Peace Pagoda at the Buddhist complex just north of Ampara in Sri Lanka. A special crossing area has been made.

History

A Peace Pagoda is a Buddhist stupa designed to provide a focus for people of all races and creeds, and to help unite them in their search for world peace. Most (though not all) have been built under the guidance of Nichidatsu Fujii (1885–1985), a Buddhist monk from Japan and founder of the Nipponzan - Myohoji Buddhist Order. Fujii was greatly inspired by his meeting with Mahatma Gandhi in 1931 and decided to devote his life to promoting non-violence. In 1947, he began constructing Peace Pagodas as shrines to World peace

The first Peace Pagodas were built as a symbol of peace in the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki where the atomic bombs took the lives of over 150,000 people, almost all of whom were civilian, at the end of world war 11. By 2000, eighty Peace Pagodas had been built around the world in Europe, Asia, and the United States. The Peace Pagoda was awarded the Courage of Conscience award June 5, 1998 in Sherborn, MA